Eileen's Age:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

William's Age:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

PawPaw

I haven't finished this post because I haven't had the time to devote to it- and I haven't been up to it, emotionally.  But I wanted to share about my Pawpaw, so here is a very late update.

The biggest- and absolutely the saddest- thing that has happened in our absence is the death of my grandfather, PawPaw (William E. Wehby, Sr.)

I know that this is often send about the recently deceased, but he really was a great man.  He had eight children and more than 20 grandchildren.
This is the Wehby family at our wedding.  And it's not even all of us. 



He was one of the most faithful Catholics I've ever met- he went to Mass every day and was always finding time to pray the Rosary (like when he took his morning walk).  Also, he was one of the strongest people (both emotionally and in physical strength) right up until his illness.  Seriously, when he was in his 80s, I would have bet on him over most 25 year old men in a strength contest.  Amazing.

Pawpaw was born in Nashville, Tennessee.  On his 80th birthday, he shared that he was born during a blizzard (in March 8 in Tennessee- we don't usually get winter weather that late!).  He attended Catholic schools all of the way through high school and then went to work in his family's trucking and warehouse business.  He was also an amazing athlete... he even received college football scholarship offers.
Pawpaw playing baseball
A young Pawpaw

He served in the Korean War and when he came home, he married Delores Stephens (Sittie) on August 8, 1953.  Together they had eight children.  Seven girls and one boy.
My dad and Pawpaw before my wedding.  Dad is nervous, Pawpaw is calm.  I guess you know what you're doing after marrying off seven daughters.

One thing that always struck me about Pawpaw was how he was adamant about helping Sittie to do the dishes and clean up after a meal.  Not many men of his generation really pitched in in the kitchen because that was seen as "woman's work".  His enthusiasm for helping out spoke to his emphasis on family and to his great love for my grandmother.  He once told me that when his brothers teased him for doing the dishes at home until he pointed out to them that nobody called him a sissy when he was on KP during Korea.

Talking to Pawpaw was always fun- he was very opinionated and he could debate better than any lawyer I've met.  But he also had a very special way with babies.  He met Eileen when she was only four weeks old, and he held her for almost all of Christmas day.  This was wonderful because (1) she didn't cry- babies loved Pawpaw and (2) nobody would dare take the baby away from Pawpaw, so she wasn't passed around and exposed to germs (I. like most first-time moms, was absolutely neurotic about germs).
Pawpaw and Eileen
Mom, Dad, Sittie, David, me, Pawpaw and Eileen

Right before Christmas last year, Pawpaw was diagnosed with brain cancer.  It seemed to come out of nowhere- he was seemingly SO healthy!  Pawpaw endured his illness with strength, dignity and prayer.  Even in suffering, he set a great example for his family.

Pawpaw and Eileen, Christmas 2011
Pawpaw on Christmas 2011
We will miss Pawpaw.  And our lives will certainly be poorer without him.  But it's also nice to know that he's watching over us from heaven.   
Pawpaw playing with Eileen on July 4, 2011
 His obituary:

No comments: