Eileen's Age:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

William's Age:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Explanation for Our Awkwardly Long Absence

So, we've been around, but it's been very busy.

Also, on December 23, my grandfather was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  He's since had surgery (they didn't take much out because it had grown so much between the time of diagnosis and surgery), gone home from the hospital, and he will begin his chemotherapy and radiation this week.  It seems that we keep getting bad news, but Papa is going to fight the cancer.  If anyone can beat it, he can.

Me, Eileen, and Papa
I have to admit that Papa's cancer diagnosis has kind of knocked the wind out of my sails.  I think that's probably true for most of his family.  Papa is absolutely the healthiest, strongest, sharpest, most active 83-year-old you'll ever meet.  We just had no indication that anything like this was coming.  So we're all getting our footing back, trying to figure out how best to help Papa and Sittie through this, and carrying on with a loved one's illness hanging over our heads.  I'll try to keep an update of his health on his blog- and I would really appreciate it if you would keep Papa and Sittie in your prayers.  
Papa and Eileen
A good story (as relayed by my mom):  When Papa came out of his surgery, the nurses were asking him questions to make sure that he wasn't suffering any cognitive effects from the brain operation.  They asked him about his family and he said that he had 8 kids, 20 grandkids, and 1 great-grandchild, "who was born on November 22."  That story made me smile!

Okay, I've got a lot to catch up on.  Be ready for an overload of posts!

No comments: